Advantages And Disadvantages
Online dating has become a way of life for millions of people around the world seeking that special someone to settle down and spend the rest of their lives with. It all began in the late 1990’s, only a few years after the World Wide Web became a staple in our everyday lives.
Now days, there are hundreds of thousands of people out there who continue to search for that perfect mate, and have likely considered joining an online dating service. This article is for those people, detailing the Advantages and Disadvantages of Online Dating.
Advantages of Online Dating
1. The number one advantage to online dating is that every member is looking for the same thing – a relationship with someone they are compatible with. You can’t get that from the local super market, night club or any other public location where you would typically visit in hopes of meeting someone.
2. The second advantage to online dating is the ability to find out a lot of information about someone before you ever talk to them. Online dating services present in-depth profiles of each member, provided by the member for the purpose of matching them up with compatible individuals. You’ll also be able, in most instances, to see at least one picture of the person. With all of this information at hand, you can then make the decision whether or not you wish to strike up a conversation, let alone a potential relationship.
3. There’s no reason to feel shy at an online dating service. When you virtually approach another member via email, message, chat room or any other communications available, the ability to do so from afar (over the Internet) takes most, if not all, of the nervous butterflies out of the equation. If the person does not return the same interest, you are not left face-to-face feeling awkward.
4. Because of the wide spectrum of members – in reference to location, hobbies, typical hang-outs, etc. – you are given the opportunity to met people you never would have had the chance to meet in everyday life.
Disadvantages of Online Dating
1. The number one problem with online dating is the ability to tell whether the person you are talking to is really who they say they are. Pictures are worth a thousand words, but they are not necessarily of the person you are speaking with. Many online daters have dealt this disadvantage to online dating. You may think you are speaking to a 25 year old gentleman with a gorgeous picture, when in fact he is a 45 year old, grey and balding man who uploaded a 20 year old picture of himself. Because of this unpreventable online dating flaw, never get your hopes up too high and never let your guard down until you are 100% positive you are talking to the person you think you are.
2. It can be difficult to really get to know if you are attracted to a person over the computer. Our level of attraction is based on many qualities, some of which simply cannot be relayed through textual communication and still photos. Facial expressions, quirky behaviorisms, head-to-toe appearance, personal hygiene and many other factors may come into play.
3. Like the advantage of online dating that allows you to meet people you would not have met otherwise, this also works in reverse. Limiting yourself to online dating restricts your potential relationship to other individuals who are able to spend a good deal of time on the computer. More active, hard working people won’t often have this kind of time on their hands.
The disadvantages of online dating certainly don’t outweigh the advantages, but there will always be drawbacks to any form of dating, online or otherwise. Perhaps the best advice would be to join and online dating service, be completely honest (to avoid “becoming” a disadvantage of online dating) when describing yourself, but do not limit yourself to online dating alone. Stay active in the community and continue to enjoy your usual activities. One way or another, if your perfect love is out there, it will find you.