Hot Spots For The London Dating Set
If you’re keen to secure a second date with your chosen charmer, you’ll need to put great care into your choice of location for that all-important first date.
London has more than its fair share of bars and restaurants, so you need never settle for second best when setting the scene for seduction.
• Gordon’s Wine Bar tops many lists of London wine bars, and will help you exude an air of subtle sophistication. This vaulted cellar, claiming to be the city’s oldest wine bar, features in a London magazine’s list of the 75 sexiest places in London, and has an extensive wine list to suit all purses and palates, including a dedicated “Classic Wines” page.
• 5th View is your go-to for a date with a lover of literature. For a bookish date, you’d be hard-pressed to beat this, a relaxing lounge bar on the top floor of Europe’s largest book shop, where you can sip an early evening cocktail with a view over the rooftops of London’s West End.
• The Ritz, The Waldorf and The Sanderson are three of several top London hotels offering a traditional afternoon tea, for a quintessentially British date. Sip quality teas and enjoy pastries, fresh scones and clotted cream, while taking in some of the city’s most elegant venues.
• Sarastro in Drury Lane is one of London’s virtually never-ending choice of restaurants. In the heart of tourist London and surely one of the quirkiest, it has an opera theme which includes balcony seating, along with some risqué artwork in the bathrooms. The menu spans several continents, but it’s the atmosphere that will pull you in.
• Rules of London, centrally located in Covent Garden, will offer you a more intimate dining experience. London’s oldest restaurant, established in 1798, oozes old-fashioned charm which will impress your date no end. Rules sources its sought-after game from its own estate in the High Pennines, and other specialities include pies, oysters and puddings.
• Babylon at the Roof Gardens is unparalleled for one-of-a-kind surroundings. As you sample the first-class menu, you’ll be looking out over a beautiful, sprawling garden, complete with duck-pond, six floors above ground level. The service will impress the most selective of dates and, if you’re reluctant to call it a night, you’ll also have the option to continue your date at the exclusive Roof Gardens Club.
Whatever the time, whatever your taste, the spectacular city of London can offer you more than you imagined for an unforgettable first date.